Sinlung /
17 July 2015

NSCN-K Gets Ready For Fight To The Finish

The insurgent group has been constructing bunkers at undisclosed locations along the Indo-Myanmar border. This was communicated to Myanmar during a Joint Consultative Commission meeting attended by foreign ministers of the two countries on Thursday in New Delhi.

By Abhishek-Bhalla

The home ministry has asked the PMO to ban the outfit.

The home ministry has asked the PMO to ban the outfit. Nationalist Socialist Council of Nagalan-Khaplang (NSCN-K), responsible for the attack on the Army that killed 18 jawans in March, is readying itself for a long-drawn-battle across the border in Myanmar fearing an onslaught by Indian and Myanmar forces.

The insurgent group has been constructing bunkers at undisclosed locations along the Indo-Myanmar border. This was communicated to Myanmar during a Joint Consultative Commission meeting attended by foreign ministers of the two countries on Thursday in New Delhi.

A note prepared for the meeting said that apprehensive of Myanmar Army movement towards the Taga-Lungmak area, NSCN-K instructed officials of United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA) to complete construction of underground facilities, possibly bunkers.

"They were also instructed to restrict movement of their cadres and store essential items," the note said. Following the attack, the home ministry has been pushing for NSCN-K to be included in the list of banned organisations under the anti-terror law. The home ministry has submitted an action plan to the Prime Minister's Office on how banning the outfit will allow law enforcement agencies to crackdown on it.

However, there is a view in the government that there could still be a possibility of peace talks with the group but home ministry which looks after issues related to insurgency in the North East is not in favour of any dialogue with them at the moment.

Soon after the attack, the Army carried out strikes in Myanmar targeting NSCN-K camps. Since then the forces have intensified operations against the rebel group.

With NSCN-K abrogating the 14-year-old ceasefire in March, its Chairman SS Khaplang and ULFA chief Paresh Baruah initiated the formation of an umbrella group named United National Liberation Front of West South East Asia.

India also took up the issue of NSCN-K cadres abducting young boys from villages in Nagaland along the Myanmar border for recruitment in the group. Mail Today had earlier reported that nine boys were abducted and made to cross the border for being recruited in the group. Sources said the group was also setting up new camps at secret locations in Myanmar after intelligence agencies were successful in locating the old ones.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Our Twits

Loading...

Latest Posts

Archives