13 April 2011

Rural India Hooked To Web

internet cafe

Mumbai, Apr 13
: The penetration of the internet in rural areas will see an all time high this year.

In a survey conducted by IMRB for the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), the total number of active internet users in rural area will rise by 98 per cent to touch 24 million by the end of this year from 12.1 million in December 2010.

The survey said that the claimed internet user category is also set to grow by 96 per cent to reach 29.9 million by December 2011 from 15.2 million in December 2010.

Active users are those, who have used the internet at least once in the past one month.
Claimed internet users are those, who have used the internet sometime but not necessarily in the past one month.

The study found three reasons for this growth. One of the main reasons is the growing awareness about internet.

According to the research, about 69 per cent of the rural population is aware of the internet as opposed to 16 per cent projected in last year's report.

The second reason for the growth of rural internet users is that access has become easier. The report further added that CSCs and Cyber cafes continue to be access points for the use of internet.

The syndicated research is based upon a primary research survey that interviewed about 15,000 people from various age groups, across SECs and genders from the states of Assam, Maharashtra, Orissa, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.

Government initiatives facilitated by DIT (Department of Information Technology) such as National e-Governance Plan (NeGP), State Wide Area Network (SWAN) and CSC are increasingly maturing, said the survey.
As per latest reports provided by the DIT, there are about 90,000 CSCs operational in various parts of India. With India having about 600,000 villages, each CSC on an average serves about six villages approximately.

Private sector initiatives such as ITC's e-Choupal, HUL's Project Shakti, Microsoft's Project Shiksha and Google's Internet bus among various others, helped to create awareness and usage.

Source:

12 April 2011

140 Bru Families Back To Mizoram

children at Naisingpara relief camp
Children At Naisingpara Relief Camp in Tripura

Aizawl, Apr 13 : Around 140 Bru families from Naisingpara relief camp in neighbouring North Tripura district returned to Mizoram today as the third phase of repatriation of Bru refugees finally began.

According to H Sangawia, SP of Mizoram -Tripura border Mamit district, some of the families, proposed to be resettled in Damparengpui and Tuipuibari villages in Mamit district came directly to the two villages without first going to the transit camp.

The rest of the repatriated refugees would be first lodged at the transit camp from where they would be brought to the villages where they would be resettled, he said.

Refugees from Naisingpara, the largest relief camp, were brought back first as a devastating fire ravaged the camp on March 19, killing 17 people and gutted more than 3,000 houses.

“We decided to start with the Naisingpara camp so that their houses need not be reconstructed and the refugees can construct their houses in the Mizoram villages where they would be resettled with Rs 80,000 to be disbursed to each family,” one official said, adding that Rs 9. 97 crore had been allocated by the Centre as repatriation expenses.

Mizoram government had earlier decided to resume the repatriation from April eight when 4,490 refugees belonging to 890 families would be brought back from Tripura and resettled in 22 villages in Mamit district.

However, the repatriation process failed to take off due to complaints from the Mizoram Bru Displaced People’s Forum (MBDPF), which asked for more time on preparations.

As planned earlier, the third phase of repatriation was expected to be completed by May six.

I Am The Best Chief Minister of Assam: Tarun Gogoi

Tarun Gogoi

Tarun Gogoi

Guwahati, Apr 12 : Claiming that the Congress would form the government for the third straight term, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Tuesday said he was the 'best chief minister' in the state's history for being able to bring almost all militant groups to the negotiating table.

'I am saying with 30 years of political experience that the Congress party would come to power without any doubt and we are surely forming the next government comfortably,' the chief minister told reporters, a day after the second and final phase of assembly elections in 64 of the 126 constituencies.

'I can say with hands on my heart that I am the best chief minister of Assam as it was during my tenure in the last 10 years that we have been able to bring peace to the state,' the chief minister said.

'Can anybody could have ever dreamt or imagined Arabinda Rajkhowa (chairman of ULFA, the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom) sitting with me and presenting me traditional souvenirs,' the chief minister said, referring to the initiation of the ULFA-government peace talks.

'And the best part is that some former BLT (Bodoland Liberation Tigers) members are now ministers in my cabinet.'

The BLT surrendered en masse following the Bodo Accord in 2003 and later formed the Bodoland People's Front (BPF), a political party who is an alliance partner of the ruling Congress in Assam since 2006.

'And let me tell you even the elusive Paresh Baruah (ULFA commander-in-chief opposed to the peace talks) would have to come to me one day and join the peace process,' Gogoi said.

He rubbished claims of the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) that they would would form the next government. 'All their analysis and assessment will go awfully wrong. and I am more then confident of forming the government once again,' Gogoi said.

'We are getting about 25 to 30 seats and I am sure it would be a government formed by the opposition,' BJP state president Ranjit Dutta said.

'We are forming the next government as people of Assam voted for change,' AGP president Chandra Mohan Patowary said.

The AGP and the BJP had no pre-poll alliance, but are pinning their hopes of reaching the magic number of 64 between the two parties and support from smaller regional players and independent candidates in the 126-member assembly.

Counting of votes take place May 13.

Threat to Sangma's Govt in Meghalaya

mukulsangmaShillong, Apr 12 : A fresh move is afoot to topple the Mukul Sangma-led Meghalaya United Alliance (MUA) government, with rebel Congress legislators making efforts to bring in veteran Congress leader D.D. Lapang as the chief minister, a Congress source said Tuesday.

Sangma is scheduled to complete one year in office April 20.

A Congress minister in the Sangma cabinet said dissidence against the chief minister is gaining momentum among the party legislators.

'I think he (Mukul) is going out and they (rebel legislators) have got the numbers with them,' the minister told IANS, but refused to be named.

'They (rebel legislators) are not happy with the style and functioning of Mukul. He comes to office very late and takes unilateral decisions on several projects without consulting others,' the minister added.

Lapang, who resigned as the chief minister April 20, 2010, has been projected by 18 of the party's 28 legislators in the 60-member state assembly as the new Congress legislature party leader, to replace Sangma, party sources said.

Lapang and his loyalists are camping in New Delhi to seek an audience with Congress president Sonia Gandhi. The rebel Congress legislators also held few meetings with senior Congress leaders in New Delhi.

Chief Minister Mukul Sangma, who cut short his election campaign trail in West Bengal, has also rushed to New Delhi.

'Yes, they (Lapang and others) are in Delhi. They have met AICC (All India Congress Committee) leaders, but these are courtesy visits,' Congress secretary in-charge of Meghalaya Sanjay Bapna told IANS on phone from Delhi.

Bapna said he had not received any representation from the rebel Congress legislators.

'Our coalition government is absolutely stable and will complete its full term,' he said.

Political instability appears to have become a permanent feature in Meghalaya, which has seen four governments since the March 2008 assembly elections.

Sangma was sworn in as chief minister of a Congress-led coalition government April 20, 2010, after 21 of the 28 Congress legislators proposed him as the new Congress legislature party leader.

The Congress enjoys the support of UDP (9 members), HSPDP (2), KHNAM (1) and four independent members. The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), the main opposition in the state, has 15 members.

Meghalaya has seen nine governments with varied combinations, resulting in eight chief ministers between 1998 and 2009. Since Meghalaya attained statehood in 1972, only two chief ministers have completed their five-year terms.

Meiyang Chang Confirms Hosting India's Got Talent 3

Meiyang Chang

Singer-actor-anchor Meiyang Chang has denied reports that he was offered the chance to host Sony TV's upcoming reality show X Factor, but confirms he will be hosting the next season of Colors' India's Got Talent.

'So according to a leading daily, I 'turned down a lucrative offer from Sony to anchor X-Factor'.

Hahaha! I so wish these rumors were true! For the record, X-Factor was NEVER offered to me (um..how did I refuse it then?)

I will, however, be hosting India's Got Talent Season 3,' Chang posted on his Twitter page.

Chang, a former participant of Sony TV's Indian Idol went on to host two seasons of the popular singing talent hunt show, and even won the channel's dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa 4 recently.

His popularity also got a boost after he featured in Yash Raj Films' Badmaash Company alongside Shahid Kapoor.

India Debates: Was Fast an Anti-Corruption Uprising or Blackmail?

By Betwa Sharma

A 72-year-old social activist in India has become the people's champion after his threat to fast until he was dead forced the Indian government to act on an anti-corruption bill, which had been dead for decades.

Dressed in simple white clothes, Anna Hazare, a Gandhian activist, went on a hunger strike for four days in Delhi. Thousands of people turned out to support him by lighting candles and chanting slogans, and some even fasted. He ended the fast after the government agreed to form a committee to investigate corruption.

However, now that public euphoria is mellowing, people are questioning whether holding the government at gunpoint is the right way to solve the problems of the world's largest democracy.

India Debates: Was Fast an Anti-Corruption Uprising or Blackmail?
Pics: Manish Swarup, AP

Indian social activist Anna Hazare, right, sits during a hunger strike against corruption earlier this month in New Delhi. In response, the government has agreed to form a committee to draft an anti-corruption bill.

Shweta Chaubey, a lawyer based in Mumbai, said that people have to resort to drastic measures when elected leaders and the judiciary, which is also tainted by corruption, fail to deliver.

"People of the country are not left with any other option," she said. "As long as it doesn't affect peace, and as long as it takes us closer to reformation of the system."

On the other hand, some feel that the government acted not because of its genuine desire to eliminate corruption but rather to save face amid growing pressure from the public and media.
"The government may have conceded to his request not because they agree with him [Hazare] on the bill but because ... what if he would have died?" said Abhinav Bhushan, a 26-year-old student in New York.

In his blog, a senior leader of the opposition Bhartiya Janta Party, L.K. Advani, praised Hazare but also criticized "those who revel in spreading a general climate of disdain about politics and politicians."

"Despite the shortcomings of Indian democracy, we still have conscientious and upright politicians in the country, and it is they who still give people optimism and confidence for the future," he wrote.

After Hazare began his fast, the movement spread quickly to cities and towns across the country of 1.2 billion people, as well as to expatriates in foreign countries, through Twitter and Facebook.

The government relented as the protest grew, agreeing to form a 10-member committee, which has five members each from the government and civil society, to draft the Lokpal (Ombudsman) bill.

That led to some concern about civilians getting involved with writing laws, which interferes with the regular institutional processes that are in place within a functioning democracy.
Prashant Bhushan, a lawyer who actively fights corruption in the country and is on the drafting team, said that civilians drafting this law was a more participatory form of democracy that needs to be institutionalized in India.

"Let there be a government bill and a people's bill," he told AOL News. "And let's put it to a vote."

Anupama Jha, head of Transparency International in India, said that civilians and government working together to draft the law was going to be tricky. "The government is not going to make this easy for civil society," she told AOL News.

Jha also pointed out that the bill, which focuses on the punitive aspect of dealing with corruption, was only a "baby step," and that a preventative mechanism needs to be developed, which should include electoral reforms to stop criminals from running in elections.

Bhushan, the activist lawyer, agreed that the sentiment against politicians was indeed "extremely negative" but wasn't "unwarranted."

"They have badly let us down. ... There is a lot of justifiable anger," he said, adding that calls for all politicians to be jailed for corruption weren't helpful.

India currently ranks 87th out of 178 countries on Transparency International's Corruption Perception Index for 2010, faring better than its neighbors Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh. A series of scams in the past two years enraged the public, which had become numb to the corruption problem. Even the Commonwealth Games, hosted by India, were marred by allegations of corruption.

Last year, a telecom scandal robbed the treasury of $40 billion, and it is estimated that at least $462 billion was illegally
transferred overseas from India between 1948 and 2008.

The extent of the corruption has destroyed faith in the government, sparked fury against politicians and threatens to overshadow the economic gains India has achieved in the past decade. After the recent uprisings in the Middle East, there was talk in India that rooting out corruption needed a revolution.

Though Hazare's hunger strike has divided public opinion, fasting is not new to activists in India. During the independence movement, Mahatma Gandhi fasted to stop violence. Since then, activists have fasted for different causes with varying degrees of success.

Irom Sharmila, 39, has been on a hunger strike for more than 10 years to protest the Armed Forces Special Powers Act in the eastern state of Manipur, which gives the Indian army sweeping powers to fight separatist insurgents, such as shooting on suspicion.

Despite public support within the state for Sharmila's cause, the government has not relented to her demands, and she is force-fed through her nose. Hazare's success has led to frustration for some, since a short hunger strike provoked a huge reaction from the public and the media but one woman's 10-year-long struggle has had no impact.

"Doesn't it all depend on how fancy the cause is?" asked Amit Malhotra, a 22-year-old arts editor in Delhi.

Source: AoL News

Genevieve Morton – Me In My Place Photoshoot

593443868_genevieve_morton_03_123_202lo
Genevieve Morton in her underwear – photoshoot for Esquire Magazine

259344866_genevieve_morton_06_123_184lo
259347139_genevieve_morton_14_123_513lo
259349022_genevieve_morton_21_123_513lo
593441885_genevieve_morton_01_123_194lo
593444329_genevieve_morton_04_123_895lo
593446897_genevieve_morton_05_123_588lo
593449995_genevieve_morton_07_123_49lo
593451713_genevieve_morton_08_123_480lo
593455870_genevieve_morton_09_123_696lo
593457586_genevieve_morton_10_123_435lo
593463880_genevieve_morton_11_123_652lo
593465557_genevieve_morton_12_123_13lo
593469134_genevieve_morton_13_123_103lo
593475594_genevieve_morton_15_123_206lo
593477821_genevieve_morton_16_123_148lo
593479833_genevieve_morton_17_123_109lo
593482791_genevieve_morton_18_123_107lo
593485756_genevieve_morton_19_123_144lo
593488366_genevieve_morton_20_123_338lo
593496103_genevieve_morton_22_123_65lo
593500807_genevieve_morton_23_123_246lo

Courtenay Hamilton is Miss Wales

Courtenay-Hamilton
Courtenay Hamilton – lingerie pics – Nuts Magazine (Apr 8, 2011)
378877872_CourtenayHamilton01_123_28lo
378891305_CourtenayHamilton02_123_204lo