15 March 2011

Join Army: Chief Minister to Mizo Youths

join indian army

Aizawl, Mar 15
: Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla today expressed concern over decline in the number of Mizo youths joining the Army and appealed to them to opt for a career in Defence.

''The number of Mizo youths joining the Indian Army and other central services is on the wane after the insurgency in the state that was reported in 1966.

With job opportunities being limited in the state government, Mizo youth should look for careers in the Army,'' Mr Thanhawla said, while inaugurating a Champhai district Sainik welfare resettlement office at Champhai's CHANEM building.

''Manipur has outran Mizoram in terms of army commissioned officers, thanks to its Sainik School,'' the Chief Minister hoped that such schools should be set up to help Mizo youths become army officers.

He said vigorous steps were being initiated to set up a Sainik School at Chhinhchhip with funds from North Eastern Council and the ministry of DoNER.

Mr Thanhawla said his government had requested the Army to conduct as many recruitment rallies as possible in Mizoram to give opportunities to Mizo youths.

Informing that strict discipline makes army personnel accountable even after their retirement, the Chief Minister said the state government reserved 10 per cent and 20 per cent of vacancies in Group C and D jobs respectively.

Vice-Chancellor Appointment in Mizoram Varsity By April: Search Committee

Mizoram-UniversityAizawl, Mar 15 : The 'search committee', working towards appointing a Vice-Chancellor for Mizoram University, hopes to find a suitable candidate for the post by next month.

Mizoram University Students' Union, which is pressing for a Mizo Vice-Chancellor, met the three members of the committee - Prof N R Madhava Menon (chairman), Prof Atul Sharma (member) and Prof Sanjay Govind Dhande (member).

The students' union demanded that preferences be given to a Mizo candidate if he/she had the required qualifications.

"If the vice-chancellor is not a Mizo, then he should be at least a person who understands the sentiments of Mizos and easily gets accustomed to the Mizo society," the union said.

From a list of about 40 nominees prepared by the Ministry of Human Resources, the search committee will shortlist three persons and submit to the President.

"We will hopefully have a new vice-chancellor by the next one month," Prof Menon assured the students’ union. The post had been vacant since December last when Prof A N was transferred to North Eastern Hills University, Shillong.

Manipur Presents Rs 6,886cr Budget; No New Tax Imposed

Manipur presents Rs 6,886cr budget; no new tax imposed

Imphal, Mar 15 : Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh proposed no new taxes in the state's Rs 6,886-crore budget for 2011-12 presented in the Assembly on Monday.

Presenting the budget, Singh, who also holds finance portfolio, said that of the estimates, Rs 3,277 crore would be under non-plan, Rs 3,290 under state plan and Rs 319 crore under centrally sponsored schemes (CSS), central plan schemes (CPS) and north east council schemes (NEC).

Singh said total revenue expenditure was estimated at Rs 4,763 crore while capital expenditure was estimated at Rs 2,123 crore.

Under the non-plan revenue account, the total expenditure was projected at Rs 3134 crore during 2011-12, a marginal decrease of Rs 23 crore over 2010-11 of Rs 3157 crore.

The Chief Minister said Manipur economy was agriculture- based. The government was committed to the development of agriculture and farmers, he said adding the outlay for agriculture and allied sector has been stepped up from the approved outlay of Rs 93 crore during 2010-11 to Rs. 139 crore during 2011-12, a growth of 49%.

He said the government has also given priority for development of water resources even during the ensuing year.

The allocation of major and medium irrigation and minor irrigation during 2011-12 has been fixed at Rs 326 crores.

Non-Dimasas To Shun Polls

election boycottHaflong, Mar 15 : Just three weeks before the first phase of polling in Assam, politics in the troubled Dima Hasao district took a new turn today with non-Dimasas deciding to boycott the polls to teach the Congress “a good lesson”.

The open platform of non-Dimasas of the hill district — Indigenous People’s Forum (IPF) — finalised its decision in a sitting yesterday of going for “no vote” in place of projecting a non-Dimasa candidate either as an Independent or from a political party.

The decision, however, may have come as a jolt for the AGP’s declared candidate I. Zeme, a non-Dimasa and a senior member of the forum. Zeme might face expulsion from the forum if he still decides to contest and submits his nomination.

“In earlier sittings, we kept two options open before us — an acceptable person as an Independent candidate or poll boycott. The former was cancelled keeping in mind the views of our sister organisations,” A. Langthang, the forum’s chief, said over telephone.Non-Dimasas of the hill district had floated the forum two years back, with an aim to pressure Dispur to accord a prestigious status to the minority tribes of the district. The forum was also strongly against renaming of North Cachar Hills district as Dima Hasao.

Since June 2010, the forum had continued its democratic struggle, demanding a separate district for non-Dimasas, complete with a separate autonomous council.

“It is the Congress which betrayed us despite our people’s unconditional support and loyalty to the party. As many as 12 communities were living in the district peacefully; but the Congress gave the district a Dimasa name. If it could give us that in return for our loyalty, why can’t we go against it to teach the party a lesson?” Langthang reasoned.

Haflong is the only Assembly seat in the district, and senior Congress leader G.C. Langthasa has been winning from this seat since 1983. He lost the seat only once to Samarjit Haflongbar in the 1996 Assembly elections.

A forum source said they were not bothered about who won the seat this time, as long as Langthasa learned from this experience.After the Dimasas, Zeme Nagas, Kukis, Hmars and Karbis are the most influential tribes in the hill district, while Baites and Hrankhols have a microscopic presence.

“This year, along with Langthasa, former ASDC legislator Samarjeet Haflongbar and former ASDC Rajya Sabha member Prakanta Warissa were two strong contenders from the Congress. The decision of the Congress high command to project Langthasa as party candidate and the forum’s decision to boycott the polls are some bad signs for the party ahead of the election. It would be a tough job to retain the Haflong seat this year,” said a source close to Langthasa.

14 March 2011

ONGC Finds Gas in Northeast India

By Saurabh Chaturvedi

ongcNew Delhi, Mar 14 : State-run Oil & Natural Gas Corp. Monday said it has made a "significant" gas discovery in India's northeastern state of Tripura.

The discovery has given impetus for more such exploration in the area, India's largest oil producer by volume said.

ONGC Chairman and Managing Director A. K. Hazarika said that the discovery will help it meet the target of 5.5 million cubic meters per day of gas production for fueling the ONGC Tripura Power Gas Company project.

In January, the Indian cabinet approved a plan to set up a 100 megawatt gas-based power project in Tripura, and it sanctioned 6.02 billion rupees ($134 million) for the project, which is expected to be commissioned by July 2013.

ONGC said on Feb. 21 that independent audits estimated its proven reserves, including local and overseas fields, at 942.86 million metric tons of oil and oil-equivalent gas as of Oct. 1, 2010.

Make Up For Ever: Prints First Unretouched Make Up Ad

Beauty High reports that Make Up For Ever has debuted the first unretouched makeup ad.

We're sure it's not the first first -- there were probably a few non-airbrushed advertisements here and there between the creation of cosmetics and the invention of Photoshop.

And the brand obviously selected a beautiful model and shot her from her Myspace Angle (i.e. far away, lens pointing down).

But look at her arm! It's dimply with bands of shadow and discoloration. Just like ours!

Take a look and tell us what you think.

10,000 Dead in Japan Quake; Economy At Risk

Fukushima, Mar 14 : Japan scrambled to avert a meltdown at a stricken nuclear reactor on Monday after a second hydrogen explosion rocked the facility, just days after a devastating earthquake and tsunami that killed at least 10,000 people.

Roads and rail, power and ports have been crippled across much of Japan's northeast and estimates of the cost of the multiple disasters have leapt to as much as $ 170 billion. Analysts said the economy could even tip back into recession.

Japanese stocks closed down more than six per cent, the biggest fall since the height of the global financial crisis in 2008.

10,000 dead in Japan quake; economy at risk

Rescue workers combed the tsunami-battered region north of Tokyo for survivors and struggled to care for millions of people without power and water in what Prime Minister Naoto Kan has dubbed his country's worst crisis since World War Two.

Officials say at least 10,000 people were likely killed in the 8.9-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that followed it. Kyodo news agency reported that 2,000 bodies had been found on Monday in two coastal towns alone.

"It's a scene from hell, absolutely nightmarish," said Patrick Fuller of the International Red Cross Federation from the town of Otsuchi.

"The situation here is just beyond belief, almost everything has been flattened. The government is saying that 9,500 people, more than half of the population could have died and I do fear the worst."

Crucially, officials said the thick walls around the radioactive cores of the damaged reactors at the nuclear power plant appeared to be intact after the hydrogen blast, the second there since Saturday.

The big fear is of a major radiation leak from the complex in Fukushima, 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo, where engineers have been battling since the weekend to prevent a meltdown in three reactors.

The core container of the No. 3 reactor was intact after the explosion, the government said, but it warned those still in the 20-km (13-mile) evacuation zone to stay indoors. The plant operator, Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO), said 11 people had been injured in the blast.

Kyodo said 80,000 people had been evacuated from the zone, joining more than 450,000 other evacuees from quake and tsunami-hit areas in the northeast.

"Everything I've seen says that the containment structure is operating as it's designed to operate. It's keeping the radiation in and it's holding everything in, which is the good news," said Murray Jennex, of San Diego State University.

"This is nothing like a Chernobyl ... At Chernobyl (in Ukraine in 1986) you had no containment structure - when it blew, it blew everything straight out into the atmosphere."

Officials said on Sunday that three nuclear reactors in Fukushima were at risk of overheating, raising fears of an uncontrolled radiation leak.

Engineers worked desperately to cool the fuel rods. If they fail, the containers that house the core could melt, or even explode, releasing radioactive material into the atmosphere.

Nuclear experts said it was probably the first time in the industry's 57-year history that sea water has been used in this way, a sign of how close Japan may be to a major accident.

"Injection of sea water into a core is an extreme measure," Mark Hibbs of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. "This is not according to the book."

The nuclear accident, the worst since Chernobyl, sparked criticism that authorities were ill-prepared and the threat that could pose to the country's nuclear power industry.

A Japanese official said before the blast that 22 people were confirmed to have suffered radiation contamination and up to 190 may have been exposed. Workers in protective clothing used hand-held scanners to check people arriving at evacuation centres.

US warships and planes helping with relief efforts moved away from the coast temporarily because of low-level radiation. The US Seventh Fleet described the move as precautionary.

South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and the Philippines said they would test Japanese food imports for radiation.

Almost 2 million households were without power in the north, the government said. There were about 1.4 million without running water. Tens of thousands of people are missing.

The town of Otsuchi in Iwate prefecture was obliterated.

"After my long career in the Red Cross where I have seen many disasters and catastrophes, this is the worst I have ever seen. Otsuchi reminds me of Osaka and Tokyo after the Second World War when everything was destroyed and flattened," Japan Red Cross President Tadateru Konoe told Reuters during a visit to the coastal town.

Whole villages and towns have been wiped off the map by Friday's wall of water, triggering an international humanitarian effort of epic proportions.

"When the tsunami struck, I was trying to evacuate people. I looked back, and then it was like the computer graphics scene I've seen from the movie Armageddon. I thought it was a dream ? it was really like the end of the world," said Tsutomu Sato, 46, in Rikuzantakata, a town on the northeast coast.

Estimates of the economic impact are only now starting to emerge.

Hiromichi Shirakawa, chief economist for Japan at Credit Suisse, said in a note to clients that the economic loss will likely be around 14-15 trillion yen ($ 171-183 billion) just to the region hit by the quake and tsunami.

Even that would put it above the commonly accepted cost of the 1995 Kobe quake which killed 6,000 people.

The earthquake has forced many firms to suspend production and shares in some of Japan's biggest companies tumbled on Monday, with Toyota Corp dropping almost 8 per cent . Shares in Australian-listed uranium miners also dived.

"When we talk about natural disasters, we tend to see an initial sharp drop in production ... then you tend to have a V-shaped rebound. But initially everyone underestimates the damage," said Michala Marcussen, head of global economics at Societe Generale.

Risk modelling company AIR Worldwide said insured losses from the earthquake could reach nearly $ 35 billion.

Global companies from semiconductor makers to shipbuilders faced disruptions to operations after the quake and tsunami destroyed vital infrastructure, damaged ports and knocked out factories supplying everything from high-tech components to steel.

The Bank of Japan offered a combined 15 trillion yen ($ 183 billion) to the banking system earlier in the day to soothe market jitters.

Finance Minister Yoshihiko Noda said authorities were closely watching the yen after the currency initially rallied on expectations of repatriations by insurers and others. The currency later reversed course in volatile trading.

The earthquake was the fifth most powerful to hit the world in the past century. It surpassed the Great Kanto quake of September 1, 1923, which had a magnitude of 7.9 and killed more than 140,000 people in the Tokyo area.

Happy Birthday Olivia Wilde, You Newly Single Goddess!

Olivia Wilde Sexy

Happy 27th Birthday, Olivia Wilde! The stunning actress was born today in 1984 in New York City.

Wilde recently announced she was separating from Italian husband Tao Ruspoli after eight years of marriage. She was seen looking quite cozy with hottie Ryan Gosling at a post-Golden Globes party — they were later spotted on a ”secret” date at the Cincinnati aquarium, where they held hands. Color us olive green with envy!

Wilde’s next project is Welcome to the People, in which she co-stars with Chris Pine and Elizabeth Banks.

Olivia Wilde Sexy
Olivia Wilde Sexy