Sinlung /
22 October 2014

Mizoram: No Male Vasectomy compared to over 2100 women undergoing contraception procedures in 6 months, Says Report

By Adam Halliday

Aizawl, Oct 22 : At least 2,171 women underwent temporary or permanent contraceptive procedures over the past six months in Mizoram while no man did, a half-yearly report of the state health Department’s Reproductive and Child Health division made public on Tuesday shows.

“There are no reports of any male undergoing vasectomy or temporary procedures in the past six months,” state RCH program officer Dr R Lalthanga said.

Of the women who underwent contraceptive procedures, 857 underwent medical sterilisation while the rest employed the temporary copper-T procedure.

The half-yearly report, tabled before a review meeting chaired by Health Minister Lal Thanzara, also shows only 13 women have died from childbirth while 387 infants have passed away before their first birthdays.

This brings the state’s infant mortality rate (IMR) to 36 for the first half of the financial year, which is one higher than last year’s state IMR of 35, which was a middle-area position compared to other states in the country.


Post a Comment

Our Twits


Latest Posts