Dr Lalmalsawma Pachuau, Nodal Officer for the state Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme said that 35 people had reportedly eaten the fermented soyabean out of which 30 were given medical treatment in different hospitals across the city.
"We suspected bacterial contamination rather than chemical contamination as five people who ate the soya bean after cooking were not taken ill," Lalmalsawma said.
He said that the samples of the fermented soya bean were taken and sent to the microbiological laboratory and also to the state forensic science laboratory of the police department.
Reports said that two persons were treated at ICUs of two hospitals here while the condition of the rest of the victims were described as stable.
The reports said that the fermented soya bean was purchased by officials of the SCERT department from an employee.