Sinlung /
18 August 2012

LIVE: PANIC & EXODUS Still Continues

UPDATE (1:59 AM IST) CBI announces reward of upto Rs.1 lakh for any credible information, photo or Audio video clip which lead to NE Exodus.



UPDATE (1:57 AM IST)
Helpline nos for Arunachalis at Guwahati station. 9864016193, 9435114076, 9854491360.



UPDATE (12:15 AM IST)
Two prominent faces of the Northeast India, Olympic medallist Mary Kom and football legend Baichung Bhutia have appealed for peace and calm.




UPDATE (11:55 AM IST)
Mischievous text messages on N-E people doing rounds in Delhi You can contact Delhi Police (Robin Hibu - Joint Commissioner of Police) at phone numbers 011-25315003 and 9810083486 or on his email robinhibu@gmail.com for HELP.

Mischievous text messages claiming that people from the north-east will be targeted in Delhi, particularly after Ramzan, have started circulating with police on Saturday urging the community not to believe in them and stating that adequate security measures have been taken.

"Fake SMSes about north-eastern people being targeted in Delhi, particularly after Ramzan, are being circulated. Do not believe them. Situation is normal. There is no violence against people from north-east," Robin Hibu, Joint Commissioner of Police, said.

He said police have reviewed the security for North-East people with senior officials in district, Special Branch and PCR.

Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar tweeted late last night, "Friends from N-E please do not go by rumours being spread. They are rumours and only rumours. Please discard them. We are with you. No need to panic."

"Situation is peaceful. Highest alert is on. Police had meetings with North-East residents in Janakpuri, Mahipalpur, Munirka, Mukherjee Nagar for proper coordination of security.''

"More visible patrolling in north-east dominated areas is continuing. Any rumours just dial 100, inform local police," Hibu said.

If anyone has any doubt, he said, one can contact him at phone numbers 011-25315003 and 9810083486 or on his email robinhibu@gmail.com.

His remarks came as a large number of people from the north east left Bengaluru, Chennai and Pune following rumours that they will be attacked in the wake of Assam violence.

On Friday, Kumar said said there was no reason for them to panic or leave the capital.

"(We) wish to assure all people from the north east that (there is) no reason whatsoever to panic or leave Delhi. Please report any disturbing incident to us. We are with you for help," Kumar tweeted.


UPDATE (11:08 AM IST)
CBI helpline: 08811099997, 08811099996.

UPDATE (9:22 AM IST)
With three special trains leaving the Bangalore City railway station for Guwahati today, a total of over 28,000 tickets were issued by the Railways to people from the Northeast, mostly from Assam, in just three days — 6,800 on Wednesday, 9,600 on Thursday and 12,000 on Friday.


UPDATE (9:20 AM IST) Govt asks Internet service providers to remove hate content.

"Based on complaints regarding content that's inflammatory, hateful and inciting violence targeting North East Community, DIT has issued an advisory to all intermediaries," Union Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Sachin Pilot said.

The advisory based on terms and provisions of IT Act and Rules asks them to take action for disabling all such content on priority, the minister said.

Earlier on Friday, in an effort to stem the scaremongering that has led to thousands from the northeast fleeing southern states, the government banned bulk SMSes in Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka for 15 days as parliament united in support of people from the region and demanded that those fanning rumours be punished.

Five persons were arrested Friday on the charge of spreading rumours that triggered the exodusof people hailing from Northeastern states residing in Karnataka, Chief Minister Jagdish Shettar said.

He said four other persons have been identified and they are going to be arrested soon. 'Five persons have already been arrested (for spreading rumours). Some four more people are there. Their names have been identified. They (Police) are going to arrest more persons also,' Shettar told reporters here.


UPDATE (8:36 AM IST) Chennai Police setup Toll-free helpline numbers (9840295100, 9677066100 and 9789088100), which would be functional round the clock.

UPDATE (8:15 AM IST) Assam Police has deputed IPS officer Mridulananda Sarma (cellphone 94350-85487) nodal officer and created a Special Branch here (telephone number 0361-2380620).

UPDATE (8:11 AM IST) The Meghalaya police have setup a helpline number 918575001111 for those who need any sort of assistance.

UPDATE (7:57 AM IST) Bangalore police arrest six for attack, intimidation, sending false SMSes

 =============================================
Mizoram HM meets Muslim, Mizo leaders

Mizoram Home Minister R Lalzirliana today met leaders of Muslim and Mizo NGOs leaders to maintain peace and communal harmony in Mizoram, in the wake of tension in Bangalore and other parts of India.

Meeting the leaders of the state's most influential organisations - Young Mizo Association and Mizo Zirlai Pawl or Mizo students' association - at his office today, the state home minister requested them to prevent rumours in the form of SMSes and comments in the internet from triggering communal discord.

He voiced grave concern over some people spreading such SMSes and comments that can cause communal disharmony while the government has taken utmost efforts to ensure security of Mizo students and professionals studying and working in other parts of the country.

"Our own actions here can jeopardise the security of our people there," he stated.

Mr Lalzirliana also instructed the home department and police officials who attended the meeting to do the needful to prevent peace and harmony in Mizoram.

The Home Minister also called on leaders of Muslim Welfare Society in Aizawl at his office and fervently appealed them to prevent the present situation from snowballing into major crisis. He requested the Muslim community in Mizoram to make use of SMSes to calm down their brethren in other parts of India.

"As communal violence has been and is one of the biggest threats to the national integrity, it is the duty and responsibility of each and every citizen of India to maintain communal harmony in the country," Lalzirliana said.

Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla today wrote to chief ministers of Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra to ensure the security of the Northeast people in their respective states.

Yesterday, Mr Thanhawla had telephoned Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde to protect the people from the Northeast India studying and working in other parts of India.

Mizo student body assures security to people from other states

AIZAWL/KOHIMA: Fearing a reverse exodus of non-tribals from Mizoram because of the flight of NE natives from metros, the Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP), the apex body of Mizo students, on Friday appealed to all non-tribals and people from outside the northeast residing in Mizoram not to panic or fear any violence from the local populace. MZP's appeal came following the exodus of northeast students and professionals from Bangalore and other Indian cities following threats of attack.

The MZP said that they have sent a message to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging him to ensure the safety of NE people in different parts of the country, especially in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh.

"MZP leaders met Mizoram chief minister Lal Thanhawla and home minister R Lalzirliana who assured the student leaders that they were in close contact with the Centre and the concerned state governments who gave assurances that there was no danger to the lives of the people of the northeast," the MZP added.

The Naga Students' Federation (NSF) also urged the respective state governments to take swift remedial measures to stop the exodus of NE people from the various cities before things get blown out of proportion. It also requested people living in the NE states not to take any kind of resentful action during this sensitive period. The NSF appealed to the northeastern people staying in different parts of India to remain vigilant and be united at this juncture.

The North East Students Organisation (Neso), the umbrella organization of different student unions of the region, has, meanwhile, demanded the intervention of the Prime Minister and Union home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde to ensure proper security for the people.

Neso demanded that the PM must be accountable to the NE as he was elected as an MP from Assam. "Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is morally duty-bound and accountable to the people of the region to take immediate effective action regarding this situation and give justice to the northeastern people," Neso added.

Referring to threats and attacks on NE people, particularly students in different parts of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra, Neso urged the Centre and respective state governments to take immediate effective measures ensuring the mental, physical and social security of NE people all over the country.

Neso added that a considerable number of people from the NE states are studying and working in different parts of the country, especially in the metros, due to lack of adequate academic and employment facilities locally. The organization described as unfortunate the frequent incidents of discrimination, atrocities and killing of NE people in other parts of the country and the ongoing panic fleeing from various cities.

Meanwhile, Naga Students' Federation said that violent attacks on the people from the northeast have been increasing over the last few years and have raised serious concerns for aspiring students who wish to pursue their studies and also earn their livelihood in other part of the country.


 =============================================
- Arrest Made on Northeast Students Assault in Bangalore
- Mizo student body assures security to people from other states
- Manipur deputes officers at Pune, Bangalore
- Manipur home minister's appeal to parents
- NESO seeks PM’s intervention
- Assamese, others continue to flee Maharashtra
- Meghalaya students threatened

Manipur send Police officers at Pune, Bangalore

Manipur deputes DIG (Range I) Clay Khongsai, IPS and Chandel SP Elangbam Priyokumar, IPS will leave for Bangalore and Pune respectively today



Manipur home minister's appeal to parents, guardians

Manipur home minister Gajkhngam today appealed the parents and guardians of Northeastern students studying in other parts of the country not to panic in the wake of exodus of students from some states following spread of rumours.

"There is no cause for concern as there is no truth in the reports of North Eastern people being targeted in Karnataka", Gajkhangam told reporters here after talking to R Ashok, his counterpart in Karnataka.

He said the 'false rumours' were causing concern to the family members of the students here.


NESO seeks PM’s intervention

The North East Students Organisation (NESO), the umbrella organisation of different students unions of the North Eastern States has appealed to the Central Government, and respective State Governments for immediate and effective measures for mental, physical and social security for the people of the North East residing in different parts of the country.

Mentioning the “ongoing atrocities and assaults” on the students and working people of the region in different parts of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra, NESO today demanded the intervention of the Prime Minister and the Union Home Minister for ensuring proper security for the people.

It is to be mentioned that there are considerable numbers of people from North Eastern States studying and working in and around different cities of the country. A huge number of students and employable persons from this part of the country have to migrate to other parts of the country, specially to the State capitals and other metropolises due to lack of proper and sufficient local academic and employment facilities.

“It is very unfortunate that there has been frequent incidents of discrimination, atrocities faced by people from the North East studying or living in different parts of the nation. It is a matter of serious concern that in last few days, there have been frequent unwanted incidents of killing, assaults, and threatening on the people of NE region in different parts of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, and Maharashtra.

The situation has become so intense and serious that students, as well as persons earning their livelihood with jobs like Security Guards, Salespersons, etc, from this region are fleeing away from those places facing unwanted trauma and insecurity,” NESO said.

Although such incidents have been denounced by the governments at different levels, North East communities continue to suffer shock and panic as unabated attack and assault continues. The people are in panic and feeling deep insecurity, it added.

NESO demands proper and swift high level enquiry of the ongoing incidents and to give exemplary punishments to the criminals associated. NESO also demands ensuring proper security for safe return of the people, and ensuring proper immediate measures for creating comfortable and secured environment for the people in trauma and danger.

NESO also appeals the Chief Ministers of the North Eastern States for taking serious concerns and actions regarding the issues, and demands that the North Eastern State Governments should take collective and serious actions.

Rumours of attack looming large on northeast students

By Lawrence Milton

MYSORE: Rumours of attack is looming large on northeastern students residing in Mysore. They are leaving to their hometown and to places of their relatives and friends. The number of those going out of the city appears to be increasing on each passing day.

Following mass exodus of NE students in Mysore, University of Mysore (UoM) authorities are taking stock of the situation and are chipping in to provide them shelter in their hostels.

UoM VC V G Talawar on Friday held a meeting with the heads of colleges and departments having northeastern students to instill confidence among the learners. The VC, along with authorities concerned, is also planning to visit their places to reassure them about safety.

Talawar said 134 of the 366 PG students have left Mysore. He said they are providing security to the remaining students. "UoM is ready to provide shelter in hostels to those living in PGs and rented accommodations," he said.

Teresian Degree College principal Sr Sajitha told TOI that they have some 151 students, including 21 PU students, from NE of which 40% of them have left to their relatives' places or home towns. The principal said they are sending students after taking an undertaking from their parents or guardians. They have also assured protection to those living in college hostel. The college has the highest number of students from NE in Mysore.

JSS College principal K S Suresh said some of their students are leaving Mysore. "They are reluctant to stay back, despite our assurances. We are giving them 10-day leave owing to the present situation," he said. The college has some six dozen students from five NE states.

Philomena's College principal Rev Fr Leslie Moras says even in their college students are leaving to their home towns or relatives' places. "We have taken up adequate security measures in the campus and hostel to ensure their safety," the principal added. The college has some six dozen students from NE, of which over two dozen have left the place.

Most of my friends from northeastern states have left Mysore following rumours. I was living in rented accommodation, and now I am feeling insecure. So I have left to Bylakuppe to my friend's place.

Sangey Tsering Student from Arunchal Pradesh


As many as 22 NE students, including 16 girls, are living in the university hostels in Mysore. We have ensured them security in the campus too. We have suggested them to avoid going out. We have also taken up measures to assist them in their work and have also circulated our telephone numbers to them.

 Two Meghalaya students threatened

Two students of Meghalaya were allegedly threatened by a person on Thursday. The two boys identified as Synsharlang Lymba (18) and Rahul G Khongsar (18) said they reported the incident to Dattawadi police on Thursday late evening.

Synsharlang said, “Rahul and I hail from East Khasi Hills in Meghalaya. Both of us are students of Class XI (Arts) at Pushpa Devi Dugad Junior College on Pune-Satara Road. While returning from college on Thursday, when we were about to take an auto in Dattawadi for our home in Karve Nagar, a man approached us around 1.30 pm. He asked us whether we were from Assam. We felt he was drunk. We told him that we are from Meghalaya, but he forced us to accept that we are Assamese. The man further forced me to smoke.”

Rahul said, “The man warned us that if we come out of home or if we continue to attack Muslims in Assam, we will have to face grievous consequences here. We are terrified. We are from Meghalaya and have nothing to do with Assam riots.”

The Meghalaya boys informed their friends who then reportedly contacted Mayur Karjatkar of My Home India (MHI), which provides helpline to Northeast students in Pune. They then lodged a complaint at Dattawadi police chowki. Police registered a non-cognisable offence against an unidentified drunk man for allegedly threatening them. On Friday, the two students also filed a complaint application at the Pune Police Commissionerate, explaining the incident in detail and demanding proper investigation.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Our Twits

Loading...

Latest Posts

Archives