The 33/11 KV power sub-station that supplied power to the entire town broke down five days ago, which power & electricity officials today said was caused by overloading due to misuse of power for cooking meal.
"The department had repeatedly appealed the residents not to use electric heaters through the electronic and print media. Despite this, overloading continued," a statement of P&E said today.
After attempts to restore the transformer failed, the department today decided to replace it with a new 3.5 MVA transformer. Sources said the prevailing cooking gas crisis had forced many residents to use electric heater alternative kitchen fuel. Denying this claim, the Kolasib residents however said that the transformer, installed in 1983, was too old.
Newspapers in the town stopped publication since four days back while power-based commercial establishments had to be temporarily closed down. Telecommunication was badly affected their mobile phones ran out battery.